The best time to teach your dog to sit is in his puppyhood. It is a good time because we must stimulate his intelligence and the capacities that he has from a young age.
That will mean that we will have before us an educated and highly obedient dog in adulthood for many years.
When To Start Training?
The ideal time to start training will be when a puppy is between two and six months of age.
Step By Step To Teach Him To Sit
The first thing we must do:
- The first and most important thing that we have to know and adopt as a measure is a positive encouragement.
- The dog must positively relate education, knowing that he will have his reward if he does it well.
- Have special treats or biscuits for dogs that you can buy in any supermarket.
- The first thing a dog should do is smell it and give it a taste.
- From there, the training towards an obedient dog begins.
- Once the dog has tasted his prize, he is ready to start the training session.
Once the dog knows the prize, we will do the following:
- Teach him again and keep it in your hand. You managed to get your dog’s attention, and now he wants to get his prize, it’s time to start.
- Now with the prize that he knows we have in our fists, we will make him sit down following this simple step.
- With the prize in our fist, we will pass it through the air, making a journey as if it were from its snout to its head.
- We will do it a few centimeters from him, that way, the dog will sit down when following your hand.
- Also, every time you see that your dog is going to sit down, you say, “sit.”
- When the dog sits down, we will give him a prize.
What you need to know to do all these workouts well:
- When sitting the dog, whether adult or puppy, we will encourage him with words of affection and gratitude, while we give him his prize.
- We will do this exercise several times, always in a period of time that will range from 10 to 15 minutes during the first weeks, then we will increase the time of your workouts.
- Of course, for the dog to do it in the future without having to do this, we must teach it a word to relate it.
- For this, when you have been doing this training several times, we can take the word “sit” and say it while we do it and then give the award.
- This is a matter of a lot of patience and perseverance in training, and in a short time, when you say “sit” and without having to do anything else, the dog will sit alone.
With the steps that I have given you and these good tips, you will see how your pet will sit down every time you order it.